Worst I Ever Heard

Know you got a roommate, call me when it's no one there
Put the key under the mat, and you know I'll be over there
I'll be over there, shawty, I'll be over there
I'll be hitting all the spots that you ain't even know was there


Ha and you all ain't even have to ask twice
You can have my heart or we can share it like the last slice
Always felt like you was so accustomed to the fast life
Have a nigga thinking that he met you in a past life

Ah, the eloquent, charming lyrics of today's popular music. What's so cool about using different words to rhyme when you can just use the same word at the end of every line? Heck, that's originality at its best! Plus, the word "there" is so complex and forceful! And who ever knew that sharing a slice of pizza could be oh so romantic? And the last line, it seems to fit so well. Very sentimental and not completely or utterly random at all. And don't even get me started on the chorus.


But, wait, how could we forget
Baby are you down, down, down, down, down
Dooooown, Doooooown

(This continues for half an hour)
...
Down like her temperature, ’cause to me she zero degree,

She cold, overfreeze
Honestly, how "down" can you be? I think I understood the purpose after the first "down;" the 256th one was unnecessary. And can someone PLEASE explain what the heck the last two lines mean? So, if I understand correctly, a girl can be hot, which is good. But apparently, if she's got some kind of a viral cold, (and not just a cold, but an overfreeze) she's really got it going on. Glad that's clear.

The point I'm trying to make is that lyrics, it seems, are becoming less and less important in determining popularity of a song. Now I agree, there are songs, like Numa Numa, that I have no idea what in the world the musician's saying yet I still find entertaining. Even these two songs above are pretty catchy. As a whole, though, the current generation is looking only at superficial components of music, ignoring the deeper meaning and feelings evoked by music. Immerse yourself in the lyrics of Journey and you'll instantly notice the difference.


Maybe different people are looking for different things in music. I, however, definitely value meaningful lyrics. As generations pass, it seems lyrics seem to play a smaller and smaller role. So take a minute to analyze the lyrics of the music you listen to and maybe, just maybe, we can bring expressive music back.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song!!!

Anonymous said...

How about --

"We can go to the tropics
Sip pina coladas
Shorty I could take you there
Or we can go to the slums
Where killas get hung
Shorty I could take you there"

Damn, hard decision, huh? Tropics, sip pina coladas, OR the slums, where killas get hung?

I'm sure that girl was dumbfounded...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails